Friday, April 20, 2012

Troll toes trial no. 1


Since I don’t have anything under construction right now (except for few fancy dresses for summer and a quilt works), I thought to continue our troll project with experimentations on the foot-side. It’s weird that WOW troll has three fingers but only two toes! The asymmetry is rather weird, but I will roll with it. The fingers I’m going to solve by sewing custom gloves, but the toe matter is bit trickier. I’ve seen costumers making the feet over boots, but I wanted the toes to look like they bend and act rather naturally. And I really want to make the feet look good, since people seems to loath them so much.

I’m pretty sure that I’m going to make the toes out of foam. The “how” is the thing I’m still pondering, but my first trial gave a good base to the future construction.






First I kindly asked Yoki to lend her foot so that I could draw the outline on a piece of foam. After that I sketched out how the fake toes would look like and how they are placed compared to the real toes. Then I cut away the inner section and the excess around the troll toes.

When I had the first piece ready, I copied it on another piece of foam and cut the top part of the foot. I rounded the edges and carved the inside of the top part hollow so that it would sit nicely on Yoki’s foot.




Then I trimmed the pieces until they looked fairly nice. I also added creases to where the toes might bend naturally.

Then I had a problem. These two photos show how I try to find a solution to how to wear the damn think and how to fade out the angularity of the cut edges. I ended up using the stockings for the trial.



I’ve bought a pile of blue stockings to be used as pieces of bodysuit for the trolls, but for the trial I used regular lycra to act as skin. After sewing a tight fitted sock I stuffed the toe part inside. I screwed up the pattern, but the idea worked quite nicely. Yay, for troll feet!

2 comments:

  1. Hei aivan mahtava idea! :-D Ei henkilökohtaisesti WoW pahemmin kuumota, mutta hienot ongelmaratkaisut sitäkin enemmän. Täältä teidän blogista sitten saa vaan aina jotain uutta inspistä. <3 Aina ilo lukea tätä! Onkos tuo jalassa kuinka epämukava ja hiostava? 8'D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hoii, kiitos palautteesta! Jaa, enpä kysellyt tuon marsujalan ominaisuuksista Yokilta. Vaahtomuovi-sukkahousu-lycra kuullostaa kyllä hieman hautovalta... Palaan tähän, kunhan saan omat koivet tehtyä! ;)

    ReplyDelete